Welcome

All pictures on site are taken by me unless I say otherwise.
Click on pictures if you wish to enlarge for better look.






Monday, December 5, 2022

Christmas shopping and sightseeing in Va.

My husband and I had a short get away to do some shopping in Clifton Forge Va.  at their Kriskindlmarkt that was inside and so glad for that as it was a very chilly day. It was held in the School of the Arts building.  German style food and crafts.  


Places to sit to eat or just take a break



I purchased these handmade weihnachtsmann.  Cute painted faces on small logs.

All made in Virginia, and I do like to buy and support local businesses here in Virginia when I can.



on our way back home, we decided to sightsee some in the Alleghany Highlands, Covington Va. and see the Falling Springs Falls. 

 Brr it was breezy and cold but kept us moving on the short walk to see the Falls.
Thomas Jefferson surveyed this area as stated below.


We stopped at a roadside to see a bridge and was hoping to walk across but it was private. It reminded me of a swinging bridge not far from the area that my dad and Mom walked across with us when very young.  
I was sooo tempted to go across but didn't.  
Virginia has some pretty country side with old barns that I love.   

Love these curious fellows.  It's like they wanted their picture taken.  So cute!



A stop in Staunton Virginia at the Edelweiss restaurant for some German food.  I call this homestyle cooking as it reminds me of food Mom would fix.  
Very warm and inviting two story large log cabin type structure. 

We had dinner at Edelweiss in Colorado not too many years back and loved the food there.  
Delicious!  Not exactly like the ones I had at restaurants in Germany but very close.  These were a little more moist and softer texture.  

I asked about the nice tablecloths, but they came from Germany and don't think I could get any like this.  Can barely see in picture but I like the needlework.  Done by machine I am sure but very pretty.

Wienerschnitzel for me with a somewhat sweet sauce for dipping

Steve had Rahmschnitzel  with a sour cream mushroom sauce.
Several types of sauerkraut, one is my favorite Bavarian Sauerkraut, macaroni in a sauce and German style green beans.
You can see we took plenty home for another meal the next day
Now in the mood for putting up the tree at this point.  We were here November 26

A video if in the mood for seeing.  


Thank you and now to finish decorating here at home so I can post some of my home decorations of Christmas

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy,
    You sure had a fabulous time all together — however windy and cold.
    One wonders if there is a German settlement in that region...
    Authentic German style breads are for sure not 'moist' and soft...
    Loved seeing the Red Cabbage as that is also a favorite Dutch vegetable, served the same way.
    Now I have to make my own as they contain too much sodium if bought in those imported jars.
    But still, it is worth it! Have only one helping for two left in my freezer...
    That wind in the video, near the falls, was showing how nippy cold it must have been.
    All trees bare at this time of the year...
    Always a sad and dreary time of the year. Here the leaves came off within two days.
    I was too late for capturing our fabulous red maple tree but due to rain I could not...
    Next they were gone—all down.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette, Red cabbage is my favorite also. I am trying to be good about not having too much sodium. I do drink a little vinegar every day. I heard it can lower bp. not sure if that is true. I take it sometimes before we go out to eat. Just in case.
      There is German in my ancestry. Some family names on moms side are Bach and Rudy. I was reading this website and found it interesting, https://digitalheritage.org/2012/10/german-settlers-in-the-appalachians/
      Red maples do put on a show in the fall. Most beautiful trees I think when the leaves turn. We used to pick them and press them between wax paper when young. Hugs, Betsy

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful trip for this season, Betsy! I love German food but have never eaten at this restaurant. We need to take a ride there. Buying and supporting local businesses is important to me. Looking forward to seeing your decorations. Mine are the same every year. Merry on, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Christmas time sure is pretty up your way. That old wooden bridge is wonderful. I probably would not have the nerve to walk across it though. I know your home will be beautiful for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny that you mentioned the tablecloths, because I noticed them immediately in the first pictures you shared of the table. They really are lovely. It's so rare that restaurants have patterned linen and I think it's add so much to the ambiance of the room. Looks like a lovely place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you Kim on adding ambience to a room with nice linen tablecloths. It is a lovely place and the people are wonderful who work there.  We will go back. 

      Delete
  5. Betsy,
    Very nice picture and thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.....
    Thanks too for stopping by!! I shop mainly the Dollar Tree and Dollar General because we usually get a $5 off $25 coupon each week for the following Saturday....
    Hope you have a great week!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!
Some have 'no reply enabled'

I sometimes comeback to leave a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...